Beetroot Leaf and Stem Curry
Recipe by Dani Venn
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Top tip: Cut up the beetroot bulbs, drizzle with oil and bake on a piece of Glad to be Green®
Compostable Bake Paper to enjoy as a side dish or a snack.
- 1 – 2 tablespoons full flavoured coconut oil
- ½ brown onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely diced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely diced ginger
- 2 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or 1 diced fresh red or green chilli
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 500g beetroot leaves and stems (approx. 1 bunch)
- 1 can of lentils or chickpeas, drained
- Squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice to finish (approx. 1 – 2 teaspoons)
- Serve with your choice of steamed rice
Place large non-stick pan over medium heat, add one tablespoon of coconut oil, when hot, add onion and sauté until softened for about 5 – 10 minutes, cooking slowly to release the natural sweetness of the onion. Once softened, add garlic and ginger and cook for a further 5 minutes, season with a pinch of salt.
Add a little more coconut oil if ingredients are too dry, add curry leaves, chilli flakes, ground cumin and coriander and mustard seeds and cook for a few minutes until the spices are very aromatic.
Add coconut milk and coconut sugar and stir to combine. Then add beetroot leaves and stalks, mix well to combine, simmer leaves and stalks for about 10 minutes until stalks have softened a little.
Add in a can of drained lentils or chickpeas and stir through curry. Taste and season with salt to taste, and finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice. Serve with your steamed rice.